Friday 31 August 2007

Rebecca

This is some of the most beautiful writing I've ever read. I'm not usually into reading romantic novels, but Rebecca seems really amazing. It's very 'ME'. Actually I haven't read the whole book, but the thing I like most about it is the beautiful wildness it's got. OK, wierd way to describe it, but I can't find any other words for it. :P
So for the first time, I'm putting up stuff that I haven't written.

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me. There was a padlock and a chain upon the gate. I called in my dream to the lodge keeper, and had no answer, and peering close through the rusted spokes of the gateI saw that the lodge was uninhabited.

No smoke came from the chimney, and the little lattice windows gaped forlorn. Then, like all dreamers, I was possessed of a sudden with supernatural powers and passed like a spirit throught the barrier before me. The drive wound away in front of me, twisting and turning as it had always done. ........... . The woods, always a menace in the past, had triumphed in the end. They croded, dark and uncontrolled, to the borders of the drive. The beeches with white, naked limbs leant close to one another, their branches intermingled in a strange embrace.....



Well, actually I don't have time to type out any more, even though the parts after this are wilder and more beautiful. These were just the first two paragraphs.
It's beautiful. Just beautiful.

No comments: