Sunday 20 July 2008

Sounds of the soul.


Raag Malkauns is one of the most beautiful ,popular and most ancient of the raagas in Hindustani Classical music. Raag Malkauns belongs to Bhairavi Thaat or scale of Hindustani classical music. It is a pentatonic raag ie its type is Audav Audav and this raag is sung at late night. The notes of this raag corresponds to Bhairavi Thaat ie, komal notes are used.

In raag Malkauns Rishabh and Pancham are prohibitted. When ascending(aaroha) the notes are Sa Ga Ma Dha Ni Sa. While descending(awaroha) the notes are Sa Ni Dha Ma Ga Sa.The vaadi swara of Raag Malkauns is Madhyama. Sanwaadi Swar is Sadaja. These notes in combination portray darkness and secret.

The raag is said to have evolved when Lord Shiva performed The Taandava dance. The raag thus evokes a feeling of vigour or we can say this Raag is a VEER rasa raga. And as traditions in Indian classical music ascribes this vigour and veer rasa is not the veer rasa of the battlefield but a sense of conquering the self and reaching a state of inner satisfaction.
This raga is said to have supernatural powers and can conjure spirits if rendered properly. Though a simple pentanoic raga in structure, it requires great skills to convey and evoke the mood of Malkauns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DwI3bbXGlA



Pure magic. Yes. There's no other way to describe it. When I play Malkauns, I feel powerful. When I play this raag, I feel like I can rule the world, that nothing can overpower me. I feel as if all the pain and fear I've ever felt is rising within me like a tornado. It gives me strength, strength which creeps upto my fingers as they dance upon the strings. Melody fills everything around me, surrounding me, almost like a shield. Nothing can touch me. No one can harm me. There is this a supernatural feel in the ga-ma-dha-ni-sa...

No comments: